Secure Greater Funding for a Better Treatments and Programs as well as a Cure
- Advocate to the Florida Legislature and the Governor the importance of epilepsy funding and the need for funding increases for Floridians with epilepsy.
- EFOF will work with the national Epilepsy Foundation in Congress and the White House to support a strong fiscal environment that provides a safety net of programs for people with epilepsy and related conditions.
Improve Access to Medical Care, Medications and Treatment
- Advocate for reasonable access to affordable and quality epilepsy care and treatments in public and private health insurance.
- Doctor prescribed medications is available and affordable to those with epilepsy.
- Support protections that ensure people with epilepsy can rely on the commercial insurance and pharmacy coverage benefits that they are marketed and sold for that health plan year.
- Support and advocate for research and legislation for the implementation and access of medical marijuana for patients’ with epilepsy.
Stop Stigma and Discrimination Against People with Epilepsy
- Advocate for epilepsy-specific legislation aimed at public awareness about epilepsy and seizures.
- Promote employment opportunities for people with epilepsy.
- Support full implementation of the ADA and other civil rights laws that protect the rights of people with epilepsy.
- Advocate for the reduction of the seizure-free period required to attain a driver’s license in the state of Florida, from 6 months to 3 months.
Capitol Day & Purple = Red + Blue ReceptionThe Tallahassee-based Day at the Capitol event allows for executive staff, board members, donors and key stakeholders from around the state to come together during the Legislative Session to meet with legislators, review policy and host the organization’s “Red + Blue = Purple” Fundraiser. The evening reception will focus on recognizing those state leaders who have been supportive of the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and of epilepsy sufferers as a whole across Florida.
Teens Speak Up!
Meet Justin Tyler Millares- Florida's 2016 Teen Speak Up Representative
Teens Speak Up! is a program that provides an opportunity for teens with epilepsy and their parents to visit the nation's capital, receive advocacy training, meet with their legislators, and tell their personal stories. Teens Speak Up! is part of the Public Policy Institute. Teens from across the country are nominated by affiliates and selected by the National Foundation to participate in the program. After receiving training at TSU, each teen is asked to turn that training into action in their respective home districts through our Year of Service program.